20 May 2009

Signs of the Apocalypse

It's by Lanny Davis, a Washington, DC insider, and the guy who accused people supporting Ned Lamont in 2006 against Joe Lieberman of "Liberal McCarthyism", and he is calling for the criminal prosecution of Dick Cheney for authorizing torture:
I have agreed with President Obama on the need to look forward, not backward.

But … I have changed my mind about the need to indict former Vice President Dick Cheney for complicity in illegal torture.

...

Even more, they seem to be an in-your-face dare by Mr. Cheney to the U.S. criminal justice system: "I am Dick Cheney, I approved violations of the law in the name of the war on terror, and what are you going to do about it?"

It reminds me of Gary Hart's reaction in the early days of his 1988 presidential campaign to the rumors of his womanizing. .....

So as to Mr. Cheney: I think it is time to take him up on his implicit dare and indict him for violating the 1994 federal law against torture.
This is as big a Beltway Blowhard as they come, and he called for Dick Cheney to be prosecuted, and got it published in the Moonie Times (Link is to The Hill, which republished it.

I don't think that he is suggesting this out of any real moral imperative, it's just that he feels that Dick Cheney is, to paraphrase Bull Durham, "Calling the umpire a called the guy a c$#@sucker," which offends his genteel Beltway sensibilities.

0 comments :

Post a Comment