31 March 2008

787 Partners Reorganizaton

One of the central "innovations" of Boeing's 787 plan was the idea of bringing in suppliers in as fully involved partners, where they would bear much of the risk, and be responsible for much of the design and engineering.

Recent developments appear to indicate that Boeing is walking away from this policy.

Boeing has just bought out Vought Aircraft's ownership stake in Global Aeronautica, which means that Boeing and Alenia now each own half of the enterprise.

Vought will still be a supplier for the 787, particularly the aft fuselage, but their more senior role in design and engineering has been taken over by Boeing.

I expect to see more in the way of recentralization by Boeing on the 787 to come, with yet more on their next project, a replacement for the venerable 737.

Full disclosure, the CEO of Vought Aircraft, Elmer Doty, was head of my division* when I worked at United Defense/BAE Systems.

*Yes, I have worked everywhere. Maybe I can't hold down a job, but more likely this has been my role as "technical hit man", where you are parachuted in to take care of a specific need.

0 comments :

Post a Comment